Below the photos from a trip to what is now called Camden Fort Meagher.
Built around 1550, with many different fortifications at different stages, the present structures there now date from around the 1860’s. Along with Fort Carlisle (renamed as Fort Davis) it guarded the mouth of Cork Harbour for centuries. A very important defensive fort, along with Fort Carlisle and the Canon and Fortifications on Spike Island, it is easy to see how the British Guarded the entrance to Cork Harbour, the British have long seen the importance of not just Cork Harbour, but Ireland itself in strategic terms, during World War One it had one of the Worlds First Guided Missiles “The Brennan” and it also boasted an anti -submarine net which stretched across the Harbour to Fort Carlisle.
At the moment it has just reopened to the public but is still going through a period of restoration and will be for years to come. In recent years a group came together and formed the Rescue Camden Committee which Kick-started the restoration process. Its easy to see massive work has been done thanks to the many tradesmen, workers and Volunteers to bring it to the state it is in now, and there is a huge amount more restoration to be done. Along with funding from Cork County Council, it utilises the Controversial Job Bridge scheme where unemployed workers are exploited and on this particular project have to work for 45 hours a week and only get €50 on top of their Social Welfare payments, speaking with one of the now Volunteer Workers, we got an impression of how absurd the Job Bridge scheme is, one told us that they occupied a particular position under Job Bridge however after 9 months this position no longer exists, because they are not willing to continue with the ‘Internship’ with the same person. Instead of exploiting vunerable Workers the state should be making an appropriate investment to bring the Fort up to scratch.
Below the old entrance to the Fort, (with Fort Carlisle/ Fort Davis in the Background) as well as the sentry Gallery to guard it.
Below, the Tunnel to the Magazine, the Magazine and the spiral staircase which leads back up to the Barrack Square, 65% of the Fort is Underground.
Below the view of the lower Gun emplacements, which had Guard rooms and ordinance rooms underneath, also to the left of the Gun emplacement there are Caverns that housed ships and the famed ‘Brennan’ Guided Missile.
The opening photo above showed the modern entrance to the Fort, the building is whats known as the Casemated Building, in two restored rooms there are photo exhibitions. One is described as “the only resident 9-11 exhibition in the world outside of Manhattan, New York.” Packed with photos of the carnage brought about in New York in the Twin Towers attack, its hard to see the relevance of this at Fort Camden and looks like an attempt at Hoisting the Yankee Flag in order to attract the Yankee Dollar, perhaps next year they will have an exhibition of the Destruction and murder that the American Government has brought about in Afghanistan and Iraq.
In the room next to the one above there is an exhibition of photos of World War One with plenty of poppies, this and the Royal emblems and Royal Flag that flies over the ‘Royal Yacht Club’ it appears Crosshaven still retains a British view of the World.