The National Monument on the Grand Parade.
Unveiled on St Patrick’s Day 1906 by the Cork Young Ireland Society, it is by far the most impressive Monument in the city.It was built to commemorate the Rebellions of 1798, 1803, 1848 and 1867. An inscription on the monument states :
“Erected through the efforts of the Cork Young Ireland Society to perpetuate the memory of the gallant men who fought in 1798 1803 ’48 ’67 who fought in the wars of Ireland to recover her sovereign independence and to inspire the youth of our country to follow in their patriotic footsteps and imitate their heroic example and righteous men will make our land a Nation once again”
Nowadays, its the starting point for some Easter commemorations, and in 2011 the 3oth anniversary of the Hunger Strikes of 1981 was commemorated here by Republican Sinn Féin.
Below, the other two figures, Wolfe Tone, ‘the father of Irish Republicanism’ and the Young Irelander from Mallow, Thomas Davis, who established the famous newspaper ‘The Nation’. Below also are some additional plaques that were added to the monument at later dates….
As you can see from the picture below, the invasive weed the Buddleia emerging from the top area of the monument, if left alone it will further damage the monument.
In 2009 Cllr Brian Bermingham in typical Fine Gael fashion ‘rededicated’ the monument alongside imperialist cheerleaders the British legion. As always throughout the struggle for the All Ireland Republic there are those who wish to distort the message of Tone, Dwyer, Davis and Crowley.