Below the various monuments and plaques to The Kents , Michael Fitzgerald and James B. Maye.
The Kent Monument on the Bridge over the river Blackwater, Fermoy.
“1916 To the memory of the Kent Family who nobly defended the Irish Republic against the English army of occupation at Bawnard House Castlelyons on the 2nd May(Easter Rising) 1916 Go dtuga dia suaimhneas síoraí dóibh Erected by the Kent memorial committee USA this memorial shall not be unveiled until Ireland is completely free”
“More Arrests. Another round-up in Cork City and County”
From the Irish Examiner June 5th 1940
Above a snippet from the Irish Examiner June 5th 1940 shows how Internment was the order of the day in the campaign to defeat Irish Republicanism in the 1940′s. Today, 2014, Internment is still used as a weapon against Republicans North and South of the Border.
Many in the North find themselves ‘On Remand’ for years before ever even seeing a Court, in the South, Republicans can find themselves before a non jury court on trumped up charges. Presently there are over 120 Republican Prisoners North and South.
The ‘perennial war’ it seems is set to continue.
Today we pay tribute to Kevin Neville on his 50th anniversary.
In Every Generation right down to the present day since the time of the United Irish Societies in the 1790′s there has always been a Band of Irish Republicans willing to carry on the fight, likewise there has always been a current within that movement that possesses the most thought out and progressive politics that seek to not only force a British Withdrawl, but to defeat the power of the Bankers, Landlords and Capitalists and create a Socialist Republic, it is was in this current that Kevin Neville stood.
Below the photos from a trip to what is now called Camden Fort Meagher.
Built around 1550, with many different fortifications at different stages, the present structures there now date from around the 1860′s. Along with Fort Carlisle (renamed as Fort Davis) it guarded the mouth of Cork Harbour for centuries. A very important defensive fort, along with Fort Carlisle and the Canon and Fortifications on Spike Island, it is easy to see how the British Guarded the entrance to Cork Harbour, the British have long seen the importance of not just Cork Harbour, but Ireland itself in strategic terms, during World War One it had one of the Worlds First Guided Missiles “The Brennan” and it also boasted an anti -submarine net which stretched across the Harbour to Fort Carlisle.
Spike Island or Inis Píc, is in the centre of Cork Harbour and as such has been a very important feature in the history of not just Cork harbour itself, but Ireland. Once a monastic settlement in the 7th century, it was a staging post for British penal transportation to the West Indies in the time of Cromwell, it is believed there are over 700 people buried there in a mass grave on the Western side of the island, who starved to death during the Genocide that has become known as ‘The Famine’. Hundreds of Republican Volunteers were kept there during the Tan War and one, Padraig de Faoite/ Paddy White a Captain in the East Clare Brigade was shot there in 1921 by a sentry while trying to retrieve a ball during a game of Hurling. In more recent times it was used as a naval base and later a prison from 1980s the 2004, it is now a Heritage site open to the public.
“The Famine queen stood tall and proud, on either bank the people bowed, from Passage West came a Fenian yell, Rule Brittania, Rule in Hell!”
Members of the Rebel History Group set out yesterday in search of the elusive Civil War monument near Carrigaloe Station in Cobh, taking the Old Railway Line out from Cork City all the way down to Passage West and across on the Ferry. We failed to reach the Celtic Cross monument due to the bushes on the monument side of the train lines being too thick but will conquer it another day!
Below are memorial plaques to those 17 United Irishmen Hanged at ‘Gallows Green’ in 1798 and 1799 in the Greenmount area of Cork City on the Southside, not far from the lough, where Gould street meets Centenary Cresent.
“The Gallows Green was located in this area, those whose names are listed here under were Hanged here between April 1798 and October 1799 for offences arising for their involvment with the Society of United Irishmen”